Eto'o names Messi's rightful heir at Barcelona
Whether Messi leaves Barcelona this summer or not, the fact that the club legend soon turns 34 means talk has intensified regarding who will become his rightful heir in the near future.
Samuel Eto’o has named who he believes will be the heir to the Lionel Messi throne once the Argentine great leaves Camp Nou.
Eto’o shared a dressing room with Messi for five seasons and acted as a self-proclaimed father figure to the current Barcelona captain in his early formative years in Barcelona’s first team.
Now, after 16 seasons at Camp Nou, all indications are that Messi could leave Barcelona when his contract expires in June following a failed attempt to engineer an exit last summer.
Whether Messi leaves or not, the fact that the club legend turns 34 in June means talk has intensified regarding who will become his rightful heir in the near future, with Eto’o identifying teenage sensation Ansu Fati as the man to take on the role.
Eto’o on Ansu Fati replacing Messi
“I think [Ansu Fati] is the one for the future,” Samuel Eto’o said in an interview with SPORTbible.
“He's currently doing amazing stuff, so I think the club really needs to groom him and take very good care of him. Let's hope he's the one to take over from Messi.”
Since making his debut last season, 18-year-old Fati has provided for13 goals and five assists in 43 appearances. However, the young Spanish forward has not played since late November due to meniscal laceration
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats