Matthew Hoppe continues making history in Bundesliga
The United States striker keeps scoring for Schalke 04, netting four goals in two consecutive games for the German club.
Matthew Hoppe has done it again! The 19-year-old scored a hat trick in Schalke's 4-0 victory against Hoffenheim last weekend on matchday 15 of the Bundesliga. He not only helped his team to end a 30-game winless streak against Hoffenheim, but he also became the first American to score three goals in the same game in Germany’s top tier.
Hoppe is no one-match wonder
Hoppe scored Schalke's only goal on matchday 16 against Eintracht Frankfurt with a 29th minute equalizer, although his side ended up losing 3-1 after the 90 minutes.
Another game, another goal.— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) January 17, 2021
Young American Matthew Hoppe is on a tear! pic.twitter.com/AOinuBFgi5
The striker became the first American to score four goals in two consecutive Bundesliga match days and tied with Josh Sargent for the second-most Bundesliga goals by an American teenager.
The 19-year-old American joined the German club in 2019 after leaving FC Barcelona’s academy and he has made seven appearances so far this season. When he joined the German side he started with the under-19 team, where he scored five goals in 20 matches.
Schalke are struggling this campaign and currently find themselves bottom of the table with 7 points and a record of 1-4-11. Their next league game is on 20 January against FC Koln at the Veltins-Arena.
Recommended in English
- João Félix considering leaving Atlético Madrid
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League knockout stage schedule: when is the round of 16?
- NFL Will Ryan Fitzpatrick play again for the Washington Football Team?
- SOCCER Barcelona €15 million away from Man City forward Ferran Torres
- NBA | LAKERS LeBron James defends Lakers coach Frank Vogel
- NBA | WARRIORS Steph Curry eyeing Ray Allen's three-point record against Portland