Monaco interested in Real Madrid defender Marcelo
The Ligue 1 club are willing to offer the Brazilian a three-year contract with a gross salary of €6 million per year, according to BeIn Sports.
As Real Madrid prepare to take part in their first Copa del Rey match of the season, Marcelo, 32, continues to be the subject of interest for some major European clubs. The latest has been Monaco, who are reportedly keen on boosting their squad.
The attacking defender has a contract with Madrid until 2022, but the offer from the south of France could be one that convinces Madrid's second-choice left-back. Monaco would be willing to offer a three-year contract worth around €6 million per season, which would be equal to former Sevilla striker Wissam Ben Yedder's salary.
If he accepted the offer, Marcelo would have to take quite a hefty financial paycut. The Brazilian currently earns approximately €9 million per year at Madrid. It would be a considerable reduction, however, on the contrary, the duration of the contract favors the 32-year-old in the long term. Monaco are not the only club interested in the experienced defender. Juventus are also reportedly keen in tempting him away from the Spanish capital.
Marcelo has gone from being a regular starter and key man for Zinedine Zidane to witnessing Ferland Mendy become the first-choice on the left side of the back four. This season, Marcelo has only featured in seven of the 24 games for Madrid. And the results for Los Blancos with him in the side have been poor, including four defeats (Shakhtar, Cádiz, Valencia and Alavés), one draw (Elche) and two wins (against Valladolid and Huesca). It has been 14 years since his debut for Real Madrid, but the time may have come for his next debut.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 France national team squad: players, absences...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen still in hospital, condition is stable
- EURO 2020 Germany national team squad: players, absences...
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos, Florentino Pérez hold Valdebebas talks
- EURO 2020 England - Croatia live online: UEFA Euro 2020 | Group D
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Child tax payment, tax refund status, IRS offices...