Weston McKennie is first American to win Italian Super Cup
The United States international won his first title with Juventus after defeating Napoli 2-0 at the Citta del Tricolore stadium.
Weston McKennie arrived at Juventus last summer on loan from Schalke 04 and he has impressed in his first six months becoming a regular starter for head coach Andrea Pirlo. The United States international has 20 appearances in all competitions scoring three goals and providing two assists.
First title with Juventus
On Wednesday night, Juventus defeated Napoli 2-0 in the Supercoppa Italiana with Cristiano Ronaldo and Álvaro Morata scoring for the Old Lady. This was the first title of the season for Juventus and Weston McKennie became the first American to win the Italian Super Cup.
The 22-year-old was a doubt to play this game due to an injury he picked up two weekends ago, but he was able to recover in time and played the entire 90 minutes. He almost made things more complicated for the Old Lady because in the 76th minute he committed a foul inside the box handing Napoli a penalty. Fortunately for him, Mertens missed the penalty kick when Juventus were leading 1-0.
This was also the first title in McKennie’s career in Europe because he was unable to win anything during his time in Schalke 04. The No 14 from Juventus became the first player from the United States to win a title during the 2020/21 season in Europe’s top leagues.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness