Weston McKennie is first American to win Italian Super Cup
The United States international won his first title with Juventus after defeating Napoli 2-0 at the Citta del Tricolore stadium.
Weston McKennie arrived at Juventus last summer on loan from Schalke 04 and he has impressed in his first six months becoming a regular starter for head coach Andrea Pirlo. The United States international has 20 appearances in all competitions scoring three goals and providing two assists.
First title with Juventus
On Wednesday night, Juventus defeated Napoli 2-0 in the Supercoppa Italiana with Cristiano Ronaldo and Álvaro Morata scoring for the Old Lady. This was the first title of the season for Juventus and Weston McKennie became the first American to win the Italian Super Cup.
The 22-year-old was a doubt to play this game due to an injury he picked up two weekends ago, but he was able to recover in time and played the entire 90 minutes. He almost made things more complicated for the Old Lady because in the 76th minute he committed a foul inside the box handing Napoli a penalty. Fortunately for him, Mertens missed the penalty kick when Juventus were leading 1-0.
This was also the first title in McKennie’s career in Europe because he was unable to win anything during his time in Schalke 04. The No 14 from Juventus became the first player from the United States to win a title during the 2020/21 season in Europe’s top leagues.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man City had "considerable chance" to land Ronaldo, says Fernandinho
- CORONAVIRUS | MANDATES How many Americans does Biden's vaccine mandate apply to?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Recommendations for Week 2
- NFL Baltimore's Jackson says Sunday's game vs. KC "not about me and Mahomes"
- NFL Cowboys lose fourth starter in a week after Lawrence breaks foot
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Real Madrid player ratings vs Inter Milan