Which team has played more NFL conference finals?
With the introduction of the AFC and NFC in 1970, teams across the nation have battled it out each year to be their conference representative.
In 1970, the American Football League (AFL) and the National Football League (NFL) merged.
Prior to that, for a decade, the AFL had competed alongside the NFL, but as the fan following and competitiveness behind the new league grew, a decision was taken, in 1966, to create an end of season match between the winners of both leagues. The first four years saw each league win two titles each and so, ahead of the 1970 campaign, they came together and gave us what we have today: two new conferences and the Super Bowl.
- When and where is Super Bowl LV 2021? - Date, location, teams & start time
- Mahomes and Chiefs to face Brady's Buccaneers in Super Bowl LV
- Buccaneers survive Brady's second-half slump to reach home Super Bowl
- How many times has Tom Brady played the Super Bowl?
- Buccaneers beat Packers to reach Super Bowl LV
- Which team has played more NFL conference finals?
- Super Bowl LV: Sarah Thomas set to be first female official
Who’s won the most NFL conferences?
The two new conferences, the AFC and the NFC, have fought out their seasons since that year and both then sent their representative to the showpiece final to compete for the ultimate prize. We know, thanks to the immense coverage that it gets, that the Pittsburgh Steelers and the New England Patriots have the joint equal record for the number of Super Bowl rings collected.
But which team has collected the most individual conferences champions is less known.
Getting to the conference game is one thing, and there is a tie for this accolade with the Steelers and the San Francisco 49ers having done so on 16 occasions. Just one behind them is the Patriots and one fewer still sit the Dallas Cowboys, on 14.
In terms of winning the conference titles, the Cowboys are leading the way in the NFC. They have eight wins spanning the years since their first in 1970/71 until their most recent in 1995.
In the AFC it is the Patriots on top with 11 wins. Their first came in 1985 and their most recent in 2018.
Te recomendamos en Nfl
- MLS LAFC back-to-back road victories after win over Austin FC
- GOLD CUP Will there be fans at the Gold Cup? What are the Covid-19 restrictions?
- Euro 2020 Golden Boot standings: who are the top scorers?
- PSG Ramos speaks after PSG make signing official
- UFC When was Conor McGregor's last UFC fight, and what was the result?
- UFC What were the results of McGregor vs Poirier 1 and 2?