Matthew Hoppe earns first pro-contract with Schalke
Even though Schalke are sitting bottom of the Bundesliga and could face relegation, the American striker decided to sign his contract until 2023.
Matthew Hoppe is having a breakout season with FC Schalke 04 this year, scoring five goals in nine appearances in the Bundesliga. Earlier this month, the 19-year-old scored a hat-trick in Schalke's 4-0 victory over Hoffenheim on matchday 15 and with it became the first American to score three in a single game in the German top flight. A week later he scored again, this time against Eintracht Frankfurt with a 29th minute equalizer, although his side ended up losing 3-1.
After his performances the team has rewarded him with his first professional contract that will take him until the end of the 2022-23 season. With this new deal his current market value has increased to 110 thousand dollars.
“Matthew Hoppe has taken his chance and shown that he has the potential to permanently establish himself in the Bundesliga,” Jochen Schneider, Schalke's head of sport and communication, said in a statement. “His development once again highlights the great work done by our academy and shows that FC Schalke 04 is the right place for young players to thrive.”
Schalke facing relegation
Currently FC Schalke 04 sit at the foot of the Bundesliga table with eight points after 19 matches. They have a record of 1-5-13 and their only win this season came in Hoppe's hat-trick game against Hoffenheim.
The American striker is determined to fight alongside his teammates for Schalke to stay in the Bundesliga next season and they are nine points away from doing that.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds