Matías Almeyda: San Jose boss rejects Chile chance
The Argentine head coach has declined the offer to manage the Chile national team because he wants to fulfill his contract with San Jose Earthquakes in MLS.
The Football Federation of Chile is in search of a head coach before the CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers resume in March. According to reports from ESPN, Matías Almeyda topped the list of candidates to take on the job, but he declined the offer, opting to finish his contract with San Jose Earthquakes ahead of the 2021 MLS season.
In 2019 Almeyda signed a three-year deal with the Earthquakes and if another team wants to sign him they need to buy out his current contract. The Chilean Federation has not directly contacted anyone from San Jose regarding Almeyda because they first talked to the Argentine about his desire to take on the job.
Almeyda committed to San Jose
So the rumors of his imminent departure appear to be incorrect and he has been clear about his desire to continue his project in Major League Soccer. The season is set to begin on 3 April and Almeyda has made a few signings to improve the team's performances from last year. One of the new faces that arrived at the team from California is Eduardo ‘Chofis’ López, who he worked with during his time in Chivas.
In his second season as head coach of San Jose, Matías Almeyda was able to qualify for the playoffs, where they lost on penalties against Sporting Kansas City. This is not the first time Almeyda has been linked to another team, but his commitment to the Earthquakes is real and he wants to win the MLS Cup.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PSG vs Bayern Munich: times, TV & how to watch online
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Would the fourth stimulus check be taxed by the IRS?
- NFL Former Chiefs assistant Reid charged with felony DWI
- COVID-19 VACCINATION What to do if you get covid-19 between vaccine doses?
- MLS When is the MLS transfer deadline?
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN What to know about $3,600 Child Tax credit: dates, eligibility, amount