Ormeño: selection for Mexico national team not up to me
The Puebla FC striker has scored 15 goals in 13 games during the 2021 Guardianes tournament in the Liga MX and has the option to play for ‘El Tri.’
The Mexico national team lost 1-0 against Wales and then bounced back to defeat Costa Rica 1-0 in their two friendlies of the year in the FIFA March international break. The coach for Mexico Gerardo Martino called up Henry Martín and Alan Pulido, but both strikers got injured and Hirving Lozano had to play as a false nine.
Currently ‘El Tri’ lack strikers since the head injury that Raúl Jiménez suffered back in November and it is not known when he will return. The Mexican national team has a busy year with the CONCACAF Nations League, the Olympics, the Gold Cup and the World Cup qualifiers, meaning Martino has to find a striker for this summer as soon as possible.
Ormeño could be the answer
It's unlikely that Jiménez will recover in time for this summer, so Martino is going to have to look for a No 9 in the Liga MX. One of the players that is in a fine run of form is Santiago Ormeño of Puebla FC. The Peruvian striker has scored 15 goals in 13 appearances and is eligible to play for the Mexico national team because of his dual citizenship.
“I don’t think it’s unfair that the coach from Mexico didn’t include me in the squad during the March international break. It is not up to me, that is Martino’s decision and all I’m focused on right now is Puebla. Maybe if I keep scoring goals I’ll get a chance,” said Ormeño during an interview with TUDN.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Ronaldo discusses future ahead of Portugal-Hungary clash
- Cristiano Ronaldo having no 'sleepless nights' over Juventus future
- EURO 2020 Mbappé needed to speak up but Giroud tussle is behind us, says France captain Lloris
- REAL MADRID Ramos: Kroos, Casillas back Real Madrid captain amid contract impasse
- Copa America Who won the last Copa America and which country has the most titles?
- US News How have vaccine lotteries impacted vaccination rates?