Mexico bounces back and defeats Costa Rica
Mexico defeated Costa Rica thanks to a late goal from Hirving Lozano. El Tri has not lost against ‘Los Ticos’ since 2013.
The Mexican national team lost against Wales last weekend in their first friendly of the year and they were desperate to bounce back against Costa Rica in the second game of the FIFA international break of March. ‘El Tri’ has not lost against ‘Los Ticos’ since 2013.
The first half was highly competitive, with no clear shots on goal from either team. The second half changed as the coaches were making their respective substitutions, but Costa Rica had the first clear opportunity on goal, but Bryan Ruiz failed to find the back of the net.
Late opener for Mexico
Mexico felt comfortable as they came into the last 20 minutes of the game and Orbelin Pineda changed the dynamic of the team when he came on. The Cruz Azul midfielder made his presence felt when he gave a through ball to Hirving Lozano, but the Napoli player couldn’t hit the ball correctly and Keylor Navas was able to block it.
In the 89th minute however Diego Lainez took the corner kick, Luis Romo flicked it and Hirving Lozano headed the ball inside the six to find the back of the net. El Tri ended up winning the game and they have not lost back-to-back games since Gerardo Martino took over the managerial job. Both teams will face each other again on 3 June in the semifinals of the CONCACAF Nations League.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: FDA approves Pfizer for 12-15 year olds, side effects, Indian variant...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $2,000 monthly stimulus, Golden State payment tracker, Child Tax Credit...
- Barcelona - Atlético Madrid Messi and Suárez to face off for first time in title decider
- PREMIER LEAGUE Bale hitting top form as Real Madrid star mulls Spurs stay
- Inter Milan Lautaro: I nearly joined Messi at Barcelona and Real Madrid tried to sign me twice
- REAL MADRID Juventus look to Zidane as replacement for Pirlo