Zack Steffen becomes fourth USMNT player to win League Cup
Manchester City defeated Tottenham Hotspurs 1-0 in the final of the Carabao Cup on Sunday at Wembley Stadium where fans were allowed in at a limited capacity.
Zack Steffen made history on Sunday as he started the final between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur for the League Cup at Wembley stadium. The 26-year-old goalkeeper became the fourth USMNT player to win the title as the Citizens defeated Spurs 1-0 with a late goal from Aymeric Laporte.
Not a busy day for the American
Steffen was able to keep the clean sheet, but he didn’t have a busy day against Tottenham since the London club only had one shot on target. That one save was crucial, however, and it came in the 47th minute of the game from a low curling effort from Giovani Lo Celso. Steffen was able to block it to prevent the ball from finding the back of the net.
Zack Steffen became the first United States men’s national team player to win the League Cup in 19 years after goalkeeper Brad Friedel won it in 2002 with Blackburn Rovers. Prior to him, the American midfielder John Harkes won it with Sheffield United in 1991 and Kasey Keller is the other USMNT goalkeeper to win this trophy.
The 26-year-old is in his second year at the Etihad stadium and he serves as the backup to starting goalkeeper Ederson. This season the American keeper has made 12 appearances across all competitions and has seen a chunk of playing time in the Carabao and FA Cup.
Te recomendamos en English
- 2021 Halloween costume ideas for kids: Cruella, Squid Game, umbrella costumes and more...
- US NEWS What benefits can you get in California? Social security, unemployment, others...
- SOCCER | REAL MADRID Real Madrid on red alert for Manchester United's Paul Pogba
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid: what is El Clásico's new logo?
- EL CLASICO Which player has scored the most goals in El Clásico history? All time top scorers
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS $2000 stimulus check for every American: how many people support the proposal? can it happen?