Sprint qualifying given the green light for three 2021 F1 races
Stefano Domenicali says the introduction of sprint qualifying will make F1 race weekends more engaging for fans.
A new sprint qualifying format will go ahead at three Formula One races this season. The FIA, F1 and all 10 teams have agreed to the changes to be implemented at two European circuits and one non-European track, with all three venues to be announced in due course.
How F1 sprint qualifying works
Drivers will race over 100 kilometres in sprint qualifying on Saturday afternoon to determine the grid for Sunday's race. Sprint qualifying winners will earn three points, with two awarded for second place and one for third.
The grid for the sprints will be decided on Friday afternoon using the current qualifying format, with cars entering Parc Ferme conditions from the start of Friday qualifying. There will be one-hour practice sessions on both Friday and Saturday mornings.
F1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali said: "We are excited by this new opportunity that will bring our fans an even more engaging race weekend in 2021. Seeing the drivers battling it out over three days will be an amazing experience and I am sure the drivers will relish the fight. I am delighted that all the teams supported this plan, and it is a testament to our united efforts to continue to engage our fans in new ways while ensuring we remain committed to the heritage and meritocracy of our sport."
Sprint qualifying format in full
60-minute first practice in the morning with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely
Normal qualifying format in the afternoon with five soft tyre sets available only
60-minute second free practice in the morning with one set of tyres for teams to choose freely
100km sprint qualifying in the afternoon with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely
Full distance race with two remaining sets of tyres
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT Global Citizen 2021 live online: singers, performances and concerts
- GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN 2021 Why is the White House planning for a government shutdown?
- FOURTH STIMULUS CHECK Fourth stimulus check: how many signatures does the petition for the new payment have?
- SERIE A Honours even between Inter and Atalanta at San Siro
- PREMIER LEAGUE Enthralling Brentford-Liverpool clash ends with honours even
- SOCCER Man City: Guardiola "proud" after breaking record in Chelsea win