British sport unites to support football in social media boycott
English cricket and Premiership Rugby announced they will join football's social media blackout this weekend in response to continued online racist abuse of professional players in the country.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) with all 18 first-class county teams, the eight women's regional teams and the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA) will join the football community in switching off their social media accounts from 3 p.m. local time (1400 GMT) on Friday to 11.59 p.m. on Monday May 3.
"As a sport, we are united in our commitment to fight racism and we will not tolerate the kind of discriminatory abuse that has become so prevalent on social media platforms," ECB chief executive officer Tom Harrison said in a statement.
"Social media can play a very positive role in sport, widening its audience and connecting fans with their heroes in a way that was never possible before.
"However, players and supporters alike must be able to use these platforms safe in the knowledge they do not risk the prospect of facing appalling abuse."
Cricket stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the football community in taking part in a social media boycott this weekend.— England and Wales Cricket Board (@ECB_cricket) April 28, 2021
No one should have to suffer abuse, racism or harassment on social media because they play, or are involved in professional sport.
Cricketers have not been immune to online abuse, with England fast bowler Jofra Archer revealing last year that he received racist messages on social media after breaching bio-bubble protocols during the test series against West Indies.
Earlier this month, England seam bowler Stuart Broad said the national team players were willing to take a stand against online abuse.
Rugby supports initiative
Premiership Rugby and their clubs have also given its "full support" to the campaign this weekend.
The announcement from the sport authorities came after broadcasters BT Sport and talkSPORT also said they would join the boycott.
BT Sport will be joining English football's social media boycott from 15:00 BST on Friday 30th April to 23:59 BST on Monday 3rd May.— BT Sport (@btsport) April 28, 2021
This horrific cycle of online abuse needs to end.
We stand united with the football community against online hate. pic.twitter.com/dzRNleZbo0
The Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) has already confirmed their involvement in the campaign, which aims to encourage social media companies to do more to eradicate online hate.
"British and international tennis players frequently suffer abuse online, simply for losing a match or even a point. This abuse is often especially targeted at female players," the LTA said in a statement.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man City had "considerable chance" to land Ronaldo, says Fernandinho
- CORONAVIRUS | MANDATES How many Americans does Biden's vaccine mandate apply to?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Recommendations for Week 2
- NFL Baltimore's Jackson says Sunday's game vs. KC "not about me and Mahomes"
- NFL Cowboys lose fourth starter in a week after Lawrence breaks foot
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Real Madrid player ratings vs Inter Milan