Josef Martínez scores first MLS goal in 18 months after return from injury
The Venezuelan striker scored his first Major League Soccer goal since 6 October 2019. He injured his cruciate ligament in the 2020 MLS season opener.
The ‘King’ is back. Goals don't come much more emotional than the one Josef Martínez scored against Inter Miami CF in week four of the 2021 Major League Soccer regular season. The Venezuelan striker received the ball inside the box and swivelled to fire a left foot shot into the back of the net.
Emotional celebration with the medical staff
This was his first MLS goal since 19 October 2019. Last year he suffered a ligament injury during the 2020 MLS season opener which kept him out for almost a year. It was a very special goal for Martínez, especially after the long rehabilitation he had to undergo, understandably, he celebrated this special moment with Atlanta United’s medical staff.
The Atlanta No 7 gave his team the lead in the 9th minute of the game, but failed to add to the score in the second half. Inter Miami CF kept pushing and were rewarded when Lewis Morgan levelled the score on 77 minutes.
The 27-year-old striker was replaced in the 73rd minute by Erick Torres as he still hasn’t reached full-fitness. The Week 4 game ended 1-1 with the points shared. Next, the Five Stripes will return home to host the Montréal Impact for week 5 of the 2021 MLS regular season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win