Al Sadd put an end to Barcelona rumours as Xavi signs new deal
Despite speculation surrounding Xavi's move to Camp Nou as a replacement for Ronald Koeman, Al Sadd announced an extension.
Al Sadd took to social media to announce they have reached an agreement with coach Xavi Hernández to tie him down at the club until 2023, despite persistent rumours that the former Spain midfielder would depart at the end of this season to take the helm at FC Barcelona as a successor to Ronald Koeman.
Earlier this week Xavi denied all speculation about his departure, stating he is happy with the Qatari side with whom he has had a successful season after winning his first league title as a coach.
"What's being said about my departure are just rumors. I am very close to signing a new contract and I am happy to work with the club and the players" the former Barcelona midfielder said ahead of his side's fixture against Al Araby last Sunday.
Days following his statement the club officially announced the news on their Twitter account as they posted "Xavi's contract has been renewed till 2023".
Spanish reports recently revealed that Barcelona president Joan Laporta had a meeting with some of the team's senior players, which wasn't attended by Koeman and in which Xavi's name was brought up.
Al Sadd are looking to claim a treble
Despite AFC Champions League elimination, Xavi managed to lead the side to both the Qatari league and cup titles this season. Al Sadd will also aim to end the season with an Emir Cup triumph when they meet Al Rayyan after beating Al Arabi 3-0 in the semi-final last Sunday.