Is Russia banned from the Olympic Games 2020?
A 2016 ban has restricted Russian athletes from competing in world sports, and the country is not allowed to host any sporting event until 2024.
In 2016 Russia was exposed by Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov for running a doping program, uncovering a web of deception and fraud that plagued the country for decades. This lead to the banishment of the country from competing in the Winter Olympics in 2018.
After the scandal and the initial ban from the 2018 games, the WADA, the World Anti-Doping Agency, proposed a harsh punishment that sought to ban the country for four years. A ruling that has been cut in half by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Meaning that Russian athletes will be allowed to compete in the Tokyo games.
This ban will welcome good news, the athletes who had no idea that this massive doping program was in place.
In addition, the team will not be permitted to fly the Russian flag, and the anthem will not be played at the games. Moreover, the Russian federation's uniforms will not be authorized to have the country's name anywhere on them. WADA was specific as to say that there should be neutrality and no reference to Russia. The team's colors will be allowed to be worn by the participants
The IOC and WADA have agreed to let the federations compete under the name ROC, Russian Olympic Committee.
COVID-19 crisis affecting the country
The 2020 Olympic games have come under scrutiny as of late because of the country's response to a surge in COVID-19 cases. Prompting a feud between the central government and local officials.
As of today, the Japanese government has nine prefectures under high alert due to the crisis, and more than 150 doctors have signed and delivered a letter to the country's Ministry of Health, urging him not to hold the games this year in Tokyo.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness
- Coronavirus When would it be necessary to have the third covid-19 vaccine?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: track and field, Caeleb Dressel, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES "Pressure is a privilege" - Djokovic on Biles and Osaka
- OLYMPIC GAMES Swimming: El Salvador's Celina Márquez departs Olympics