Impressive numbers light up Al Ahly's seventh Super Cup win
The African champions broke their own record as the CAF Super Cup's most successful side by claiming the trophy for the seventh time in their win over RS Berkane on Friday.
With a 2-0 victory over RS Berkane at the Jassim bin Hamad Stadium in Doha, Al Ahly of Egypt have broken their own record as the side with the most CAF Super Cup titles, claiming the trophy for the seventh time and achieving some eye-catching stats that can't go unnoticed.
After this victory over the Moroccan debutants, the nine-time CAF Champions League winners have raised their tally of continental trophies up to 22, while Red Devils boss Pitso Mosimane has become the fourth Al Ahly coach to claim the title with the team after Manuel Jose, Hossam Al-Badri, and Mohamed Youssef.
Al Ahly never lose when they qualify as CL winners
In their seventh coronation, Al Ahly emphasized the fact that they never lose the Super Cup as CAF Champions League winners. The Red Devils have made it to the final nine times, only enduring two defeats, in 1994 and 2015 - when they qualified as African Cup Winners' Cup and Confederation Cup winners, respectively.
A clean sheet for the first time since 2007
The Egyptian giants have also become the Super Cup's all-time highest scorers after taking their overall goal haul in the fixture to 14, in addition to keeping a clean sheet in the match for the first time since their goalless draw with Étoile Sportive du Sahel in 2007.
Al Ahly have won the CAF Super Cup on six previous occasions, in 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, and 2014.
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston