Hirving Lozano to miss rest of Gold Cup after serious head injury
The Napoli playmaker had to be replaced in the 10th minute of Mexico’s 0-0 draw against Trinidad and Tobago due to a head injury scare.
The Mexico national team was frustrated in the scoreless draw against Trinidad and Tobago in the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup opener in Arlington, Texas on Saturday night. The most notable incident in the game was the serious head injury that Hirving Lozano suffered in the 10th minute after a clash with the goalkeeper Marvin Phillips.
Lozano in stable condition
The Napoli playmaker had to be rushed to the hospital and was replaced by Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Efraín Álvarez. Lozano had to spend the night in the hospital that was located 15 minutes away from AT&T Stadium and almost 24 hours after his injury it has been reported that he is in stable condition.
The Mexico national team released a medical update saying Lozano is ‘stable and conscious,’ but ‘he will be medically examined’ in the next few days. The 25-year-old will undergo a magnetic resonance imaging and Napoli’s head doctor, Raffaele Canonico, is in constant contact with Mexico’s doctor, José Luis Serrano.
📄 | NOTA— Selección Nacional (@miseleccionmx) July 11, 2021
Reporte médico de @HirvingLozano70. 🏥
Tras los resultados favorables de los estudios, Hirving ya se encuentra en el hotel en recuperación.
Sin embargo, causa baja por lo que resta de 🏆 Oro.
➡️ https://t.co/fNsJKEfuGg#FuerzaChucky | #FMFporNuestroFútbol pic.twitter.com/i6pSK2l6v4
This was Lozano’s debut in the Gold Cup campaign with the Mexico national team and he was only able to play 10 minutes. It was also confirmed that Lozano has officially been ruled out of the remainder of the tournament.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: fight card, TV & how to watch online
- OTHER SPORTS Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: how much does the winner make?
- NFL Stafford give Rams slight edge in blockbuster Bucs clash
- NBA Clippers chief unsure if Kawhi Leonard will play this season
- NBA NBA denies Warriors star Wiggins' request for covid-19 vaccination exemption