Miguel Layún declined offers from MLS to sign with América
The Mexican international confirmed that he had several offers from Major League Soccer, but he decided to continue his career in the Liga MX.
In June, it was confirmed that Miguel Layún signed a six-month deal with Club América after spending two years with CF Monterrey. The Mexico international is one of the club's three reinforcements ahead of the 2021 Apertura tournament.
His decision to continue in the Liga MX
Before his contract expired with Monterrey, Layún said he had a serious offer to play in Major League Soccer with San José Earthquakes. The Mexican defender said that it was a done deal, but Monterrey’s manager, Javier Aguirre, convinced him to stay six more months in the Liga MX.
“I didn’t think I was going to return to América after I left in 2014 and last December, when the campaign finished, I had a pre-agreement with San Jose because I had six months left of my contract with Monterrey. But then Javier Aguirre was appointed as our manager and he convinced me to stay,” Layún said in an interview with Somos Águilas.
“I think it was a good thing, because if I had signed that contract, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to return to América. So things happen for a reason and I am happy to be playing here for the upcoming tournament.”
Layún also praised América’s manager Santiago Solari who arrived at the club in January. According to the 33-year-old, Solari is always looking to innovate and he is eager for the tournament to start. América will make their debut of the campaign on 22 July against Querétaro at the Corregidora Stadium.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY What should I do if I lose my Social Security card?
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King, Jr Day: is it national holiday? Why is it celebrated today? Origin & meaning
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- NFL Buccaneers injuries: Wirfs out with sprained ankle
- NFL The Cowboys lose to the 49ers on a bizarre final play