Rogelio Funes Mori eases Mexico past Honduras and into the semi-finals
Mexico beat Honduras 3-0 at State Farm Stadium to book their ticket for the semi-finals of the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Mexico demonstrated why they are the favourites to win the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup after a 3-0 win against Honduras in Glendale, Arizona. Rogelio Funes Mori sparked the win with a powerful header after Luis Rodríguez’s cross to score the game opener for El Tri.
At the half hour mark, Jonathan dos Santos volleyed in from outside the box to double Mexico’s lead. The team with the most Gold Cup titles (11) kept pushing and in the 38th minute Jesús ‘Tecatito’ Corona made a perfect cross for Orbelín Pineda to make it 3-0 before the break.
Mexico, comfortable with the first-half lead
Mexico looked comfortable with their 3-0 lead. They were not rushing to find the fourth goal of the night and they decided to maintain long possessions in the first initial minutes. In the 66th minute of the match Hector Moreno found the back of the net, but the flag went up for offside.
It ended 3-0 on 90 minutes and Mexico obtain their ticket to the semi-final. El Tri will face the winner between Costa Rica and Canada on 29 July in Austin, Texas at the Q2 stadium and the winner will advance to the final of the campaign.
Te recomendamos en English
- TENNIS Emma Raducanu "hungry" to improve after US Open win
- US NEWS What did Simone Biles say in her testimony to the FBI regarding Larry Nassar allegations?
- Jacksonville Jaguars "No chance" - Jaguars coach Urban Meyer rules out return to college football with USC
- SOCCER FIFA survey shows majority of fans back more frequent World Cups
- NBA Lisa Byington makes history as Milwaukee Bucks announcer
- MLB MLB round-up: Bichette matches career high and Ray fans 13 for Jays, Giants streak snapped