Lionel Messi: Barcelona confirm star to leave club
Barcelona have announced that Lionel Messi won't be signing a new contract at the Camp Nou.
Barcelona have announced that Lionel Messi won't be staying at the Camp Nou, despite the club agreeing a new contract with the Argentina superstar.
Messi contract not possible due to "financial and structural obstacles" - Barcelona
In a statement released on Thursday, Barça said "financial and structural obstacles" mean Messi's contract renewal at the LaLiga giants cannot be signed.
The club, who are over 1bn euros in debt, have been working to put together a new contract for Messi while also ensuring they adhere to LaLiga's financial fair play rules, but say they have been unable to.
The 34-year-old, who racked up a club-record 778 appearances and 672 goals for Barcelona following his first-team debut in 2004, has been a free agent since his last Blaugrana deal expired at the end of June.
"Messi shall not be staying at FC Barcelona"
Barcelona's statement in full:
“Despite FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi having reached an agreement and the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, this cannot happen because of financial and structural obstacles (Spanish Liga regulations).
“As a result of this situation, Messi shall not be staying on at FC Barcelona. Both parties deeply regret that the wishes of the player and the club will ultimately not be fulfilled.
“FC Barcelona wholeheartedly expresses its gratitude to the player for his contribution to the aggrandisement of the club and wishes him all the very best for the future in his personal and professional life.”
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT When is Adele's '30' album coming out? Where can I listen to it?
- NBA Best paid NBA players in 2021/22 season
- NFL Who plays Sunday Night Football tonight Week 6? | TV and times
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Newcastle's new owners consider move for Erling Haaland
- SOCCER | PREMIER LEAGUE "Salah has to experience Real Madrid"
- LALIGA SANTANDER Barcelona boosted as Agüero and Fati in squad for Valencia game