Levante and Real Madrid share the spoils in six-goal thriller
Sunday night was a great success for this league of ours, one which we thought would be bland and sluggish this season with Messi's departure multiplying the effect of the loss of Cristiano. Six goals were scored in a fast-paced match involving two teams going on the attack, an encounter that filled LaLiga with prestige. The end-to-end match took place on the same day that we saw the horrifying scenes during the abandoned Ligue match between Nice-Marseille.
Levante are a team that plays football. They attack with ambition but also expose themselves at the back, perhaps too much. Even in phases of the game when it was in their best interests to sit back, they left space for clear counter attacks, as displayed when Real Madrid made it 2-2 thanks to a super run and finish by Vinicius. Their goalkeeper, Aitor, was sent off late on for a handball 20 metres outside his area. At times they had the game won, and they came close to making it 4-2 when Cantero hit the post after leaving Courtois in his path. Levante missed out on taking all three points in the end because at key moments their heart got the better of their head.
Madrid, who had an excellent first half, lost the game because they were suspect at the back. They conceded two goals due to lapses, one just after half-time, the other after a water break where they failed to stop a cross from right. Los Blancos, however, did not lose the match despite their lapses at the back. They were a constant attacking threat throughout and this was helped by substitute Vinicius, who scored two brilliant goals. Just like in Vitoria, half an hour was enough to vindicate himself and cast doubt on Ancelotti's decision to start Hazard over him. After last night, there is no choice but to look at Vinicius in a different light.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?