Xavi: Barcelona boss gives thumbs up for Yuri Alberto
Barcelona are in the market for a forward to bolster Xavi's attacking options and have been keeping a close eye on Porto Alegre star Yuri Alberto.
Barcelona are continuing to scour the market for January reinforcements and are particularly keen on adding a striker to Xavi’s squad following the retirement of Kun Agüero and injuries to Martin Braithwaite and Ansu Fati. In the long-term Barça are pursuing Ferran Torres and Erling Haaland and the Camp Nou board are also considering a winter move for Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani, but are also looking for young talent as part of a long-term plan to rejuvenate the squad. One name that has emerged is that of Yuri Alberto, Porto Alegre’s 20-year-old forward.
Barcelona keen on Cavani as a short-term solution
According to reports in the Catalan media, Barcelona have initiated talks over a move for the player, who is valued at €15m. Arsenal and AC Milan are also tracking Alberto, who bagged 18 goals for Porto Alegre during the 2021 season. Xavi is reportedly impressed by his versatility, given he can operate as a centre forward and on both wings.
Barcelona are also keen on signing a forward who can have an immediate impact at Camp Nou, hence their interest in Cavani, but see Alberto as an exciting prospect who can fit in with Xavi’s increasingly youthful strike force.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22