Real Madrid boss Ancelotti on Hazard: Nothing's happened between us
Speaking ahead of Thursday's Copa del Rey tie against Elche, Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti was asked about Eden Hazard, who has made just eight starts this season.
Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti says "nothing has happened" between him and Eden Hazard, who is struggling for game time at the Spanish giants.
No sign of Hazard in Real Madrid's Super Cup win
Hazard was an unused substitute in both of Madrid's Spanish Super Cup matches last week in Saudi Arabia, as Los Blancos went on to win their first trophy of Ancelotti's second spell in charge.
The former Chelsea star, who turned 31 earlier in January, has endured an injury hit time at Santiago Bernabéu since his big-money move in 2019.
While he has in the main avoided injuries so far this season, Hazard has only made eight starts across all competitions, with his game time totalling 724 minutes.
Hazard has only completed a game on one occasion this season, having been subbed off in his other seven starts, and he has only assisted on two occasions from 27 chances created, failing to score himself.
Per 90 minutes played, Hazard has had 66 touches, with eight in the opposition area.
Vinícius Jr, who has excelled on the left flank – Hazard's preferred position – under Ancelotti, averages nine touches in the area per 90 minutes played, and he has featured 28 times this season in total.
The Brazil international creates 2.2 chances per 90 minutes and he has been directly involved in 22 goals (15 goals, seven assists), second only to Karim Benzema in Madrid's squad (33 – 24 goals, nine assists).
"He is training and waiting for the coach's call": No issues with Hazard, Ancelotti insists
With such quality competition, Ancelotti explained it is natural for players to miss out, but insisted there is no issue between himself and Hazard.
"It is true that the two have had many setbacks due to injuries," Ancelotti told a news conference when asked about Hazard and Gareth Bale, who has played just 193 minutes across three appearances in 2021-22.
"Hazard has been doing well from a physical point of view for a month and a half. I don't have to advise Hazard, he has the character and the experience to choose the best for him.
"The quality of the two could have helped us more, but it's only been the first part of the season. Hopefully the second half can be better.
"Nothing strange has happened between us, simply that there is competition and the coach, which is me, has to choose the best for each game. I try to be fair and choose the best. Sometimes you are very good and you don't play. I'm also talking about Nacho, [Dani] Ceballos, Isco, [Luka] Jovic.
"Nothing has happened, only that there is competition in the team and I have to choose the best in each game. This affects many players, I can't deny it. Nothing has happened, he is training and waiting for the coach's call. I think he will be ready when it arrives."
Asked if Hazard might be moved out this month, Ancelotti said: "At the moment he is still a Madrid player, he is training, focused... We have nothing else to think about."
Bale available to face Elche in Copa
While Hazard did travel to Saudi Arabia for the Super Cup, Bale instead remained in Madrid to work on his fitness, and Ancelotti said the Wales forward is available for Thursday's Copa del Rey meeting with Elche.
"He will be in the squad and all those who are have the chance to play from the beginning or as a sub. It can also happen that they don't play," the Italian added.
Thibaut Courtois will not be available due to a minor injury.