NewslettersSign inAPP
spainSPAINargentinaARGENTINAchileCHILEcolombiaCOLOMBIAusaUSAmexicoMEXICOperuPERUlatin usaLATIN USAamericaAMERICA


Can you be an anonymous whistleblower for the IRS? How to report tax fraud

If you are aware of tax fraud being perpetrated and you wish to report it to the authorities, you are able to do it without revealing your identity.

Boosted standard deduction for the over 65s

If you know or suspect that tax fraud is being committed and wish to let the Internal Revenue Service about it, you can choose to do it without compromising your identity.

The IRS has a Whistleblower Office that allows people to report suspected fraud, and they may choose not to reveal their identity if they so desire. There are various ways by which you can make a report.

How to report tax fraud

You can fill out Form 3949-A, which is available on the IRS website, or you can write a letter and send it to the IRS Whistleblower Office at the following address.

  • Internal Revenue Service
  • Whistleblower Office – ICE
  • 1973 N Rulon White Blvd.
  • M/S 4110
  • Ogden, UT 84404

You can also use the IRS’s online reporting system, the IRS2Go mobile app, or by calling their office at 1-800-829-1040.

When filing a report, it is important to provide as many details as you can, including the name and address of the person or business you suspect of fraud, the type of fraud you think they are committing, and whatever evidence you may have.

If you wish to file your report anonymously, the IRS will not reveal your identity, unless required by law or court order. Keep in mind that making a false report can result in penalties, so provide the most accurate information that you can to the best of your knowledge.


Disadvantages of reporting anonymously

One disadvantage of filing a completely anonymous report is that the IRS cannot ask you follow-up questions regarding the information you gave. Another is that you won’t be able to collect a potential reward. The Whistleblower Program provides incentives to people who file reports of significant tax fraud. If the information provided leads to the collection of taxes, penalties, or any other amount that is owed by the tax evader, the IRS may be able to pay you a percentage of what they are able to collect, although the amount depends on many factors.


To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?