Real Madrid’s Florentino Pérez opens up on Mbappé, Bale and the Super League
With the successful signing of Aurélien Tchouaméni, the failed transfer of Kylian Mbappé, the departure of Gareth Bale and the situation with the European Super League, plenty to talk about.
Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez spent his Wednesday night on Spanish television programme, El Chiringuito, and spoke frankly about a number of hot topics surrounding his club. The successful signing of Aurélien Tchouaméni, the failed transfer of Kylian Mbappé, the departure of Gareth Bale and the situation with the European Super League.
On the latter controversial topic, Pérez insisted that due to the ongoing judicial process, he was still hopeful for a European Super League. He has been a leading figure in calls for Europe’s elite football clubs to secede from UEFA competitions, and was the chairman of last year’s proposed breakaway competition, which quickly collapsed when other clubs withdrew after fan and political pressure.
Super League still alive
“Of course it is still alive, right now there is a question raised in the Luxembourg Court, there will be a hearing shortly and it will rule on the issues we have raised,” Pérez said to TV host Josep Pedrerol. “We believe that we have the right, within the European Community, to organise competitions between us, with UEFA.
“We understand that UEFA is a monopoly and in this Europe of 27 [EU member states] a pillar is that of competition.”
But did he have any concerns over Madrid being banned from the Champions League? UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin had previously threatened to expel aligned clubs from UEFA competitions.
“We have never had that fear, and that was when they said it at the beginning.
And does he see other clubs as enemies?
“No, we want to win the Champions League. PSG is not our enemy... nor Chelsea nor [Manchester] City. Everyone who competes is friends, we get along with everyone.”
Mbappé's disappointing decision
The president was disappointed with Kylian Mbappé’s decision to stay with Paris Saint-Germain, and felt that internal pressure at the club had led to his eventual choice not to join Los Blancos.
“His dream was to play for Real Madrid, we wanted to do it last August and they didn’t let him out, he kept saying he wanted to play for Madrid and about 15 days before the situation changed,” Pérez stated.
“He changes, they offer him other things, they put pressure on him and he is already another footballer.
“There is no one at Real Madrid above the club. He is a great footballer, he can win more than others but it is a collective sport and we have some values and principles that we can’t change them. I love him, he made an effort and the pressure made him change his circumstances and it’s not easy.”
And on not making a big push for Erling Haaland, who joined Manchester City this week?
“We have the best striker in the world,” he explained. “We can’t bring in Haaland, an amazing player, and then bench him.
“I don’t know if Erling Haaland has a release clause in his contract with Man City. I’ve seen some stories about it but I don’t have anything confirmed.”
More signings at Madrid?
“There will be no more signings for now because we don’t have any more space right now,” Pérez announced, before adding, “It will depend of the departures.
“The summer is long and anything can happen.”
One high-profile player leaving the club is Welshman, Gareth Bale, a massive signing decision several years ago by the president. The praise was flowing.
“He has been one of the greatest players Madrid has ever had. Remember Kiev, Valencia, Lisbon... He is a spectacular player.
“I’ve loved him a lot and the other day on the football pitch everyone applauded him.”