Over a year since Atlético last scored from the penalty spot
Mario Mandzukic launched the last successful spot-kick on 21 February 2015. This season, Griezmann missed his effort against Madrid.
Antoine Griezmann's was on target from the penalty spot in last night's game against his old club, Real Sociedad. But it was Atlético's first successfully-taken spot-kick in over a year. The French striker casually sent Rulli the wrong way but over the past 12 months, the team hasn't had the best of fortunes from 12 yards. That said, Simeone's side have only been awarded three penalties during that time. Mario Mandzukic coolly dispatched his spot-kick in the 3-0 win over Almería on 21 February 2015 but since then, apart from last night's, Atleti have only been awarded one penalty - in the October meeting with Real Madrid at the Bernabéu. On that occasion, Griezmann's effort was saved by Keylor Navas.
In contrast, this season alone, Barcelona have been given 12 penalties so far and Real Madrid, seven - the same as Eibar. Atlético have been awarded two penalties this term and six last season; but there's by no means the hardest done to - Real Sociedad, Levante, Getafe and Deportivo have only seen the ref point to the spot just once in their favour in the current campaign.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL How does the salary cap of NBA teams work? Trades, extensions, minimum veteran salary
- MLB Houston Astros take Game 1 over Boston Red Sox in ALCS
- OTHER SPORTS Canelo vs Plant fight: odds, prediction, dates, times
- US NEWS Why are there food shortages and a global supply chain crisis?
- US NEWS How much does it cost to be a space tourist?
- US NEWS Why are John Deere workers striking?