Best post-match quotes from the Europa League
Pearls of wisdom from the leading protagonists in tonight's Europa League first leg action.
A bumper night of action around Europe summed up by the people at the heart of the action:
- Emery was philosophical after his Sevilla side drew away to Basel: “0-0 isn’t the best result, but it isn’t the worst either”
- Marcelino wasn't getting carried away after beating Bayer 2-0, making his side just "very slight favourites" to go through to the quarter-finals.
- “It was a bad day at the office, we need to accept that. I have no regret because I think when we analyse we picked 11 to try to win the game”, said Spurs boss Pochettino after resting half his starting XI and losing 3-0 to Borussia Dortmund.
- While Dortmund player Henrikh Mkhitaryan simply said: "We never imagined we'd win 3-0...!"
-“I think these were the toughest conditions I’ve ever seen in a game of football” said Valencia coach Gary Neville after his side were beaten 1-0 in sodden conditions away to Athletic. It must have been quite something given he played his entire career in Manchester, hardly known for being the driest place in Britain.
- Athletic boss Ernesto Valverde reckons Gary Neville's side will score against them in the second leg, claiming: "We will need another goal to go through".
- Jürgen Klopp had his trademark big grin out after his Liverpool side outclassed arch-rivals Manchester United 2-0 at Anfield: “It was not too bad to be honest! We were really good from the first second… we could have scored more!”
- "Fellaini was the best player on the pitch", said Manchester United boss Louis Van Gaal. Few who watched the match agreed.
And here's how Liverpool saw it:
To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?