Real defend Rafa Nadal over "unacceptable" accusations
Los Blancos have issued a statement supporting the tennis ace after he was accused of doping by France's former sports minister this week.
Real Madrid have come out in support of Spanish tennis star Rafa Nadal, who this week was the subject of doping accusations by France's former sports minister.
Speaking to French television programme 'Le Grand 8' on Tuesday, Roselyne Bachelot said: "We know that the famous injury which kept Nadal out for seven months is without any doubt because he tested positive."
She continued: "When you see a tennis player out of action for a long time, it's usually because they've tested positive."
And in a statement issued on Saturday, Real sought to defend the 29-year-old, a lifelong fan of the club, branding Bachelot's allegations "unjustifiable and unacceptable".
Real Madrid's statement in full:
"Real Madrid C.F. would like to express their full support to our honorary member, Rafa Nadal, undoubtedly one of the greatest sportsmen of all time in Spain and in the world.
Rafa Nadal represents the fundamental values of sport. His greatness and his incredible achievements have always been based upon a foundation of exemplary conduct, unwavering work ethic, talent and astonishing levels of commitment.
This being the case, our institution considers the attacks made on his person by former minister Roselyne Bachelot to be unjustifiable and unacceptable.
Real Madrid C.F. consider the close ties to an idol such as Nadal to be an honour, such is his status as a symbol sporting excellence. Nadal is admired and adored by millions of fans the world over, and today our club is standing firmly by his side."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds