Casillas agrees contract extension with Porto to 2018
President Pinto da Costa confirmed on the club's channel: "It's ridiculous what has been said. We have spoken with the player's agent about an extension."
Follow Porto vs Juventus match coverage | Champions League
Porto's president, Pinto da Costa, said on the official club channel, Canal Porto, that they have reached an agreement in principle for the renewal of Iker Casillas' contract for an extra year until 2018. "We have already spoken and have agreed with the player's agent, not only to continue next year, but to extend the contract for another year after that. The ball is now in his court, because the deal is closed. We will sign when they decide they want to." The Spanish goalkeeper, criticised in recent months for a number of basic errors, had been linked with various MLS clubs in the USA. With this agreement he would be tied to Porto for another two summers, when he'll be 37.
There had been news late on in the conversations that a possible upset was on the cards in reference to the performances of Casillas but the president was clear. "This makes me laugh."
Iker has started 26 league games this season but his various errors, especially in the defeat against Sporting Braga, have somewhat dampened the initial positivity when he first signed. He was seen as one of the most exciting names in years to join the Portuguese league.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands