JOHAN CRUYFF 1947-2016
Johan Cruyff (1947-2016)
The former Dutch player and coach lost his battle with lung cancer which he had been battling for several months on Thursday. One of the game's greatest players and innovators. He was 68.
Shortly after 13:30 local time in Spain on Thursday, Johan Cruyff's official Twitter acount announced the death of the Dutch ex-player and coach. The 68-year-old losing a short battle with lung cancer.
“On 24 March 2016, Johan Cruyff (68) passed away in Barcelona surrounded by his family after a tough battle against cancer. It is with great sadness that we ask you to respect the privacy of his family at this difficult time”.
Born in Amsterdam in 1947, Cruyff was diagnosed on 22 October after a visit to Barcelona's general hospital.
He underwent several different treatments, and true to form, Cruyff was always brave in the face of adversity. In his first public appearance after learning of his illness, Johan said: “Now I have an enemy within, but I am introducing some friends to help me to beat it”.
Weeks later, in a statement issued by Cruyff Management through Spanish news agency EFE, Cruyff said “Right now I have the sensation that I am winning 2-0 in the first half of a game which isn't over, but I am sure I will end up winning”.
His optimism was always ahead of the expectations expressed by medical staff, who were more pessimistic.
A sad day for sport and football.
Goodbye to one of the all-time legends of football. Player and coach ahead of his time. RIP Johan Cruyff.— Sergio Ramos (@SergioRamos) 24 March 2016
Sad to hear that Johan Cruyff has died. Football has lost a man who did more to make the beautiful game beautiful than anyone in history.— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) 24 March 2016
"YOU were too great to ever be forgotten . . . " R.I.P. Johan Cruijff My sincere condolences to… https://t.co/txpp8Ny9vS— Patrick Kluivert (@PatrickKluivert) 24 March 2016
A true legend, genius, hero...RIP Johan Cruyff. pic.twitter.com/8sBCln9JJV— Arda Turan (@ArdaTuran) 24 March 2016
Johan Cruyff one of the most influential figures on our game we've ever seen. RIP— Jamie Carragher (@Carra23) 24 March 2016
Te recomendamos en English
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPICS Thompson-Herah wins women's 100m title and beats Fraser-Pryce
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Spain's late escape, as Brazil line up Mexico
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Team USA into quarters as Durant and Tatum star
- GOLD CUP USA vs Mexico: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system