FC Barcelona says official goodbye to Cruyff: "Gracias, Johan"
"Johan Cruyff passes away aged 68. We'll always love you, Johan. Rest in peace."
"The former Barça great, both as player and manager, died on Thursday, 24 March after a long battle with cancer"
Barça football club also published this official statement after Cruyff's passing:
"Cruyff arrived at the club in August 1973 from Ajax, renowned as one of the best players in the world. Barça soon began to reap the rewards as the Dutch magician helped Barça to the league title in his first season, and went on to win his second and third Ballon d’Or. With his intelligent play, superb technique and leadership, he quickly became an icon for Barça.
His acrobatic strike against Atlético Madrid and the 5-0 win at the Santiago Bernabeu in 1974, among many other great moments, will live long in the memory of Barça fans. In 1978, after winning the Copa del Rey, Cruyff left the club.
Ten years later, however, he would return as manager. He was in the dugout for eight seasons, during which time he led the club through its most successful ever period up until that point. He won four consecutive league titles and guided the club to its first ever European Cup in May 1992 at Wembley, among other successes. He formed the side that would go onto be known as the legendary ‘Dream Team’, a team that amazed everyone with their extraordinary style.
In 1996, he left the Barça bench, and in 1999 was chosen as the player of the century in Europe. He was a figure actively involved with Catalonia too, and in September 2006, the Government of Catalonia awarded him with the Cross of St. George, and he later became the manager of the Catalan national football team."
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?