Mexico secure spot in qualifiers with 2-0 defeat of Canada
Goals from Guardado y 'Tecatito' see the Mexican national side take care of poor Canada team and seal their place in the final round of qualification.
Mexico secured their spot in the final round of CONCACAF's World Cup qualifiers on Tuesday with an easy 2-0 win over Canada at the Aztec Stadium in Mexico City.
PSV Eindhoven's Andres Guardado got Mexico's opener from the penalty spot after 17 minutes before Jesus Corona added a second just before halftime.
The result gives Mexico a maximum 12 points with two games remaining in the penultimate stage of the North and Central America and the Caribbean qualifying competition. Six teams advance to the final stage that begins in November. Three teams qualify automatically from the CONCACAF region for the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia with the fourth-placed side facing an inter-continental play off.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What businesses accept payment with cryptocurrencies in the US?
- NFL How many times have the Los Angeles Rams reached the NFC NFL Conference Finals?
- NFL How many times have Cincinnati Bengals reached AFC Championship Game?
- SOCCER Cristiano Ronaldo complains about market valuation and asks for an explanation
- BARCELONA Barcelona and Spotify seal deal for Camp Nou naming rights
- 'I thought I was dreaming!' – Warriors star Wiggins reacts to All-Star selection