French fans back decision to omit Benzema from Euros
L'Equipe ran a survey on Wednesday after the decision was made to leave Benzema out of the squad, with 67 percent of respondents in favour.
The decision to exclude Karim Benzema from the France squad for the European Championship this summer has met with widespread approval among French football fans. L’Equipe ran a survey after the news that the France Football Federation (FFF) had decided not to call up the Real Madrid striker for the tournament on home soil and of almost 50,000 people that took part, 67 percent said they were in agreement with the federation’s stance, compared to 33 percent who would prefer Benzema to be lining up for Les Bleus at the Euros.
On Wednesday, the FFF issued a statement in the names of president Noël Le Graët and France manager Didier Deschamps, stating their intention to omit the Real striker from the tournament squad. Benzema was suspended by the FFF last October over his alleged involvement in a case of extortion against international teammate Mathieu Valbuena.
Te recomendamos en English
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth
- SCIENCE NEWS When will the Sun die?
- NFL Odell Beckham Jr. close to return for Cleveland Browns
- NFL New York Jets' Zach Wilson reflects on his disastrous 'four interceptions' game
- NFL New York Giants' Nick Gates in good spirits while facing an uncertain future