Madrid and Atlético look towards a Milan final
I came across plenty of people yesterday before the draw convinced that we were going to have a Real Madrid-Atlético Madrid semi-final based on the premise that ‘"UEFA don't want another all Madrid final". That's not how it turned out. I believe in these draws and the element of luck that is connected with each one. Once again Madrid were drawn with the side that their fans wanted, Manchester City. At this stage of the competition no draw is easy but some are more difficult than others. I think we all agree that Bayern and Atlético are two teams that could pose big problems for Madrid. This tie is certainly appealing with the likes of Pellegrini, Silva, and Agüero. at the Premier League club.
After Barça's elimination at the hands of Atlético, there is no doubt for me that the glamour tie is the Atleti-Bayern match-up. Atlético have moved into the limelight, a place where Bayern have always been. The Spanish side have outstanding business resulting from the 1974 final where everyone remembers the name of Schwarzenbeck. Many Atleti fans (even the most audacious) wanted the German side in the draw: “First, let's get payback for the final defeat some 42 years ago, and then revenge for Lisbon”. Atletico fans have now won the right to fear no-one.
If both Madrid and Atlético are focused on reaching the final in Milán, both Sevilla and Villarreal have all eyes on Basel. The Europa League also throws up the possibility of an all Spanish final as fortunately both sides were kept apart in the semi-final draw. Could it be that UEFA want two all Spanish finals? Not at all, it's simply the luck of the draw. It was a great advertisement for the Spanish game to see four LaLiga clubs in the draw. We can dream at least at the potential of two all Spanish finals. In the meantime we have four fantastic semi-finals to look forward to as was the case with the quarters.
Te recomendamos en English
- GALATASARAY 0-REAL MADRID 1 Zidane: "There's never an easy week at Real Madrid"
- GALATASARAY 0 - 1 REAL MADRID Marcelo says Real Madrid unlucky not to score two or three against Galatasaray
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Liverpool stars deserve Ballon d'Or nominations, says Klopp
- ATLÉTICO 1-0 BAYER LEVERKUSEN Simeone: "Aragonés, Caminero, Kiko... we've all been whistled"
- MANCHESTER CITY Rodri pulls up as Manchester City battle Atalanta
- Barcelona are not treating Slavia Prague lightly, insists Valverde