It's commonplace for footballers to make bets between each other - just as fans of opposing teams do - and often it's not for money. It could be just for fun, maybe one showing greater knowledge over the other, sometimes it'll be with an embarrassing consequence or possibly one treating another to something nice.
A few weeks ago we saw Barcelona stars, Luis Surez and Neymar Jr put a hamburger on the line for when their respective countries, Uruguay and Brazil, played each other. Neither of them had to visit McDonald's though as the game ended in a 2-2 draw.
On this occasion, Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool legend and current midfielder for LA Galaxy in MLS, made a bet for the Europa League clash between his old club and Villarreal with his team-mate Gio Dos Santos - whose brother, Jonathan, plays for the Yellow Submarines and he, himself, used to represent. After a competitive first leg, which ended with an injury time goal for the Spaniards, the outcome of the tie was secured for Liverpool with a comprehensive 3-0 win (3-1 on aggregate). Joy for Klopp's men as they progress to Basel for the final and for Steven Gerrard an extra bonus, the prize of the bet with his team-mate.
And what was the bet? A new Ferrari? A weekend away on a private island? No. It's a much more modest prize of dinner at the restaurant of the other's choice to toast the victor. In saying that, Gerrard added the following comment.
"I know some pretty expensive restaurants, and Gio thinks it'll be a typical three-course dinner, however, I enjoy five-courses."
What everyone now wants to know is which venue Steven has picked. As soon as we find out we'll let you know...
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Gareth Bale determined to seize Clásico chance
- BARCELONA Barcelona: at least three players could leave in the January window
- REAL MADRID Barnett: "There's no guarantee that Bale is leaving Real Madrid"
- SERIE A "We're living in 1920": Lukaku's agent 'ashamed' of 'Black Friday' headline
- SERIE A Smalling: 'Black Friday' headline "wrong and highly insensitive"
- CRYSTAL PALACE Andros Townsend opens up about his gambling addiction: "I lost €54,000 in one night"