Barcelona press supporting Atlético for Champions League
Sport, a pro-Barça newspaper, was supporting Guardiola's Bayern in the Champions League semi-final, but are now backing Atlético Madrid against Real Madrid.
Pro-Barcelona sports paper Sport makes no secret of its allegiance to the Catalan giants, as could be seen this week from their reactions to the results in the Champions League semi-finals between Atlético and Bayern, and Real Madrid and Manchester City this week.
After Atlético held on to knock out Bayern Munich, Sport proclaimed that "Football is like that" ("Fútbol es así") in support of Guardiola. Indeed for many of Sport's Barcelona supporting readers, Simeone's style of football is the antithesis of how the game should be played.
But just a day later, with Real Madrid having qualified for the final of the Champions League (beating Manchester City 1-0 at the Bernabéu), Sport's antipathy for the Atleti coach was a thing of the past. "Cholistas" proclaimed the front page ("Cholo supporters"), though admitting the support for Simeone would only be for "one day only", the day of the Champions League final, 28 May.
Barcelona were eliminated from the competition by Simeone's Atlético at the quarter-final stage, but provided Madrid's other team can prevent Real from winning their 11th European Cup, a lot of Barça fans will forgive them.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Woodley gets ‘I love Jake Paul’ tattoo, wants rematch
- US NEWS What is the meaning of racketeering? How long is a racketeering charge sentence?
- Porter agrees to max extension with Nuggets
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS What qualifies a child for social security benefits?
- NBA Philadelphia 76ers Morey says there is 'hope' for reconciliation with Ben Simmons
- MLB Yankees move ahead as the AL Wild Card chase enters final furlong