Bale-goal disallower to ref Barcelona match
The LaLiga season will be decided on Saturday. Riazor and Los Cármenes will be centre stage. Mateu Lahoz and Hernández Hernández. Its funny (and not coincidental in my opinion) that the title-deciding game in Granada will be officiated by the same referee who inexplicably disallowed Gareth Bale's goal at the Camp Nou. The Welshman's pinpoint header was witnessed by 625 million television viewers across the globe. Everyone who saw it had to applaud the indisputably well-taken goal. Everyone but Hernández Hernández that is. The Canary Islander and his linesman on the day came to the baffling conclusion that the Cardiff Express fouled Jordi Alba as he leapt to meet the the ball. Hernández Hernández suffered a panic attack at the prospect of a Real Madrid winning and blowing the title race wide open. So he disallowed the goal. I can picture how scared he would have been about his first time in charge of the Clásico ending without a Barça victory. It seems awfully strange to me that when a referee makes such a monumental mistake in the Clásico that the Federation would then put him in charge of the definitive game that could hand Barça the title.
Meanwhile Real Madrid's match in Galicia will be presided over by Mateu Lahoz, a referee lauded by José Mourinho. However, my most recent memory of the Valencian official is of his performance at the Benito Villamarín when he didn't hesitate to send off a Betis player once it became apparent Barcelona couldn't break the deadlock against ten men. I also won't be forgetting that Luis Enrique's Barça have been awarded 19 penalties (a top-flight record), have seen 11 opponents receive red cards and escaped eight goals through linesmen's decisions. Madridistas are going to be on high alert on Saturday to see how the referees conduct themselves. What happened in Tenerife still stings.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US Unemployment benefits in California: how to check the status of your claim
- GAMING NEWS Among Us! how to download and play for free on PC (Windows) and Mac
- ATLÉTICO 6-1 GRANADA Luis Suárez scores two and assists one in Atletico debut demolition of Granada
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: what is Mark Cuban's proposal?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man City sign Ruben Dias as Otamendi joins Benfica