Champions League: If there's any justice, Atleti will win - Buffon
The Italian legend has admitted he feels Los Colchoneros are due payback for their previous European Cup final heartbreak.
Goalkeeping great Gianluigi Buffon has declared that Champions League finalists Atlético Madrid are due payback for the last-gasp heartbreak that they've been through previously at the same stage of the competition.
In 2014, Atlético were dramatically denied a maiden European crown by city rivals Real Madrid, as a stoppage-time header from Sergio Ramos forced extra time before Los Blancos eventually won out 4-1 to secure a tenth continental title.
That late agony mirrored Atleti's only prior appearance in the European Cup final, when a 120th-minute equaliser saw Bayern Munich also deprive Los Rojiblancos at the death in 1974, with the Germans triumphing 4-0 in a replay.
And as Diego Simeone's men again prepare to face neighbours Real in the competition's showpiece event on 28 May, Buffon told reporters: "If there's any justice in sport, Atlético Madrid will win".
"Two years ago, Atlético lost in really unlucky fashion after Sergio Ramos' goal in the 93rd minute," said the Italian World Cup-winner, who was a Champions League runner-up with Juventus in 2003 and 2015.
"I strongly believe in the [opportunities for] sporting revenge that life gives you," the 38-year-old continued. "[But] it'll be a tough challenge, because Real Madrid have more experience of these games."
Te recomendamos en English
- WORLD NEWS Spanish volcanologist explains what will happen when the lava reaches the sea on La Palma
- NFL NFL: Which players were fined from Week 2?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- US NEWS Why is the social security Cost-Of-Living-Projection historically high?
- US NEWS What age should you file for social security to get the maximum benefits?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Arsenal vs Tottenham live online: Premier League 2021/22