Atlético Madrid: veteran Tiago Mendes signs extension
The 35-year-old midfielder will remain an Atlético Madrid player next season after putting pen to paper on a renewed deal.
Atlético Madrid have announced that midfielder Tiago Mendes has signed a one-year extension to his contract at the Vicente Calderón.
The 35-year-old's new Atlético deal comes 24 hours after team-mate Sául Ñíguez committed to Los Rojiblancos until 2021.
The veteran has spent much of the 2015-16 season on the sidelines due to a broken leg suffered in November, only returning to action on the final day of the LaLiga campaign.
But despite Atleti bringing in Matías Kranevitter and Augusto Fernández in the January transfer window, he remains an important part of coach Diego Simeone's midfield plans.
The capital club have therefore moved to tie down the Portugal international, whose contract was due to expire in June, with sporting director José Luis Pérez Caminero describing him as "vital for our team".
Caminero added: "He is a player who contributes lots of experience on and off the field of play, which makes him beloved by team-mates and fans alike. He is a key pillar of the group."
And Tiago, who joined Atlético in the 2009-10 season, spoke of his delight at putting pen to paper: "I am very pleased to be able to stay another year at this great club."
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS LAFC boss Bob Bradley keen to push Carlos Vela to the limit
- US NEWS Unemployment Benefits: What has the White House said about the effects of ending payments early?
- COPA AMERICA Brazil v Colombia: Selecao out to secure top spot
- EURO 2020 Euro 2021 Group D: scores, standings and who progresses to the round of 16
- BOXING What is Deontay Wilder's boxing record?
- VACCINE LOTTERY $1M Louisiana Vaccine Lottery: how to enter and sign up