Atlético Madrid: veteran Tiago Mendes signs extension
The 35-year-old midfielder will remain an Atlético Madrid player next season after putting pen to paper on a renewed deal.
Atlético Madrid have announced that midfielder Tiago Mendes has signed a one-year extension to his contract at the Vicente Calderón.
The 35-year-old's new Atlético deal comes 24 hours after team-mate Sául Ñíguez committed to Los Rojiblancos until 2021.
The veteran has spent much of the 2015-16 season on the sidelines due to a broken leg suffered in November, only returning to action on the final day of the LaLiga campaign.
But despite Atleti bringing in Matías Kranevitter and Augusto Fernández in the January transfer window, he remains an important part of coach Diego Simeone's midfield plans.
The capital club have therefore moved to tie down the Portugal international, whose contract was due to expire in June, with sporting director José Luis Pérez Caminero describing him as "vital for our team".
Caminero added: "He is a player who contributes lots of experience on and off the field of play, which makes him beloved by team-mates and fans alike. He is a key pillar of the group."
And Tiago, who joined Atlético in the 2009-10 season, spoke of his delight at putting pen to paper: "I am very pleased to be able to stay another year at this great club."
Te recomendamos en English
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Khabib reveals Ronaldo's biggest fear for Cristiano Jr.
- NEW MOVIE RELEASES Space Jam 2: release date, trailer, images, cast, plot
- 2021 TAX FILING Tax Return: can I get interest if my refund comes late?
- Coronavirus Blood type might affect covid-19 infection: how and what types?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks $1,400 third stimulus check: how many people will lose out under new income limit?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS What is a Head of Household and how does it affect the size of stimulus checks?