Atlético Madrid: veteran Tiago Mendes signs extension
The 35-year-old midfielder will remain an Atlético Madrid player next season after putting pen to paper on a renewed deal.
Atlético Madrid have announced that midfielder Tiago Mendes has signed a one-year extension to his contract at the Vicente Calderón.
The 35-year-old's new Atlético deal comes 24 hours after team-mate Sául Ñíguez committed to Los Rojiblancos until 2021.
The veteran has spent much of the 2015-16 season on the sidelines due to a broken leg suffered in November, only returning to action on the final day of the LaLiga campaign.
But despite Atleti bringing in Matías Kranevitter and Augusto Fernández in the January transfer window, he remains an important part of coach Diego Simeone's midfield plans.
The capital club have therefore moved to tie down the Portugal international, whose contract was due to expire in June, with sporting director José Luis Pérez Caminero describing him as "vital for our team".
Caminero added: "He is a player who contributes lots of experience on and off the field of play, which makes him beloved by team-mates and fans alike. He is a key pillar of the group."
And Tiago, who joined Atlético in the 2009-10 season, spoke of his delight at putting pen to paper: "I am very pleased to be able to stay another year at this great club."
Recommended in English
- NFL The Rams change ticket policy to restrict 49ers fans ahead of NFC Championship game
- NFL How did the Los Angeles Rams get their name? Origin and meaning
- NBA NBA round-up: Suns equal best-ever start, Garland matches LeBron in Cavs win
- NBA Lakers at Nets: times, TV and how to watch online, NBA 2021-22
- NBA NBA: Nets vs Lakers – injury news
- NBA Juancho recalls tough times at Boston: "There was no room for me"