Garbiñe Muguruza powered her way into a first Roland Garros semi-final on Wednesday with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Shelby Rogers of the United States.
Muguruza, 22, had reached the quarter-finals on her last two visits to Paris and was Wimbledon runner-up in 2015.
She will face either Australian 21st seed Samantha Stosur or unseeded Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova for a place in the final.
"I was a little nervous as Shelby was playing with great confidence and precision," said Muguruza, who had to save a set point in the 10th game of the opening set. "But I am happy to win and want to keep going."
Rogers, the world number 108, was hoping to become the lowest-ranked Roland Garros semi-finalist in the Open era.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side