Garbiñe Muguruza powered her way into a first Roland Garros semi-final on Wednesday with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Shelby Rogers of the United States.
Muguruza, 22, had reached the quarter-finals on her last two visits to Paris and was Wimbledon runner-up in 2015.
She will face either Australian 21st seed Samantha Stosur or unseeded Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova for a place in the final.
"I was a little nervous as Shelby was playing with great confidence and precision," said Muguruza, who had to save a set point in the 10th game of the opening set. "But I am happy to win and want to keep going."
Rogers, the world number 108, was hoping to become the lowest-ranked Roland Garros semi-finalist in the Open era.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: is a deal possible if not settled by Friday?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA: why is Arizona receiving praise from the White House?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV...
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City vs Real Madrid: Champions League preview
- STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: what is the bonus for Social Security retirees?
- MANCHESTER CITY-REAL MADRID | ZIDANE "Gareth Bale preferred not to play" - Zidane