PORTUGAL 1 - ISLANDIA 1
Cristiano Ronaldo: “Iceland only tried to defend, they were lucky”
Ronaldo was less than flattering about Iceland after they managed a historic draw against his Portugal side in Group F of Euro 2016. "They celebrated like they had won the Euros".
Ronaldo has drawn severe criticism for his post-match comments after Portugal failed to overcome a resolute Icelandic challenge. Nani's 31st minute goal was cancelled out by Thor Bjarnason in the 51st on a historic night for the smallest nation to ever qualify, score a goal and win a point at Europe's prestigious national continental competition.
Ronaldo had this to say about Iceland post-match
“They celebrated like they had won the Euro cup or something, that's a small mentality. That's why they'll do nothing … Iceland only tried to defend, they had two chances and then did not try to score."
“It's normal to have a difficult opening game. It's not just us, it's happened to Spain, France, to everyone… We'll win the next game and we'll qualify”.
“I played on the left, on the right, I had to change position with Nani, play coming in from wide positions and try to bring some mobility. All the changes of position need a bit of time to adapt”.
“Physically I felt good and I'll be better again in the coming games. I'll do more. I believe we're going to get better and we'll go through”.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Umtiti and Junior fit to return for Barcelona at Eibar
- International football Bulgaria-England: Balakov quits as fallout from clash continues
- BARCELONA Vidal on tattoos, his mo-hawk and some advice for Dembélé
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Rodrygo, Vinicius wanted by Brazil in January
- MANCHESTER UNITED Greenwood signs new Man United contract
- Serie A Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies'