EURO 2016 | PORTUGAL
Cristiano overtakes Figo to become Portugal's most-capped player
Cristiano Ronaldo set a new Portuguese record, gaining his 128th cap against Austria in Euro 2016's Group F on Saturday.
Cristiano Ronaldo set a new record with the Portugal national team tonight, gaining a record 128th cap against Austria in the team's second Euro 2016 outing.
He overtakes the previous record holder - former Portugal great Luis Figo and pulls level with other former stalwarts on the international stage - ex-Holland goalkeeper Edwin van der Saar and former France defender Lilian Thuram who both represented their countries 128 times.
Cristiano was very close to setting another record at Parc des Princes but was denied by the woodwork when his 78th-minute penalty struck the base of the post with goalkeeper Robert Almer beaten; had it entered, he would have become the first player to score in four European Championship tournaments.
He will have a second chance to do that, and to extend his appearances record, when Portugal play the third and final group game on Wednesday against Hungary.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Thierry Henry to stay in Major League Soccer... for now
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Borussia Mönchengladbach vs Manchester City: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Atalanta vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 stimulus check in California: who qualifies and how to track
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: $600 California 2021 payment, IRS tax deadline, when it's coming | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: Will you get a $1,400 payment, and when?