Atlético Madrid confirm signing of full-back Sime Vrsaljko
The 24-year-old Croatia international moves to LaLiga from Italians Sassuolo and has penned a five-year deal at the Vicente Calderón.
Atlético Madrid have announced the signing of Croatia international full-back Sime Vrsaljko from Serie A outfit Sassuolo.
The 24-year-old has put pen to paper on a five-year contract with Los Rojiblancos, arriving at the Vicente Calderón for 16 million euros plus a further two million in add-ons.
Vrsaljko, who is currently on holiday after featuring for his national side at the European Championships, is viewed as a long-term successor to regular Atlético right-back Juanfran.
However, he can also play at left-back - as he did in Croatia's group-stage win over Spain at Euro 2016 - meaning he gives coach Diego Simeone an alternative to Filipe Luis.
The player will join up with Simeone's first-team squad later this month.
FIRST WORDS AS AN ATLÉTICO. Vrsaljko: "Playing in Atlético is a big challenge for me, I’m very happy" #WelcomeVrsaljko— Atleti English (@atletienglish) 5 July 2016
Second summer signing
Sporting director José Luis Pérez Caminero said: "Vrsaljko is a player with a huge projection, although he has already demonstrated his quality in a championship as competitive as the Italian Serie A.
"It perfectly fulfils our idea of incorporating players who increase the competition within the group and our team’s level. He is very versatile, since he can play in both sides."
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement