Barcelona president takes to Twitter in support of Messi
Josep Maria Bartomeu posted a message on social media expressing his backing for the Barça star following his sentencing for tax fraud.
- Follow the match LaLiga date 26 Barcelona-Celta live .
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has taken to social media to send a message of support to Lionel Messi, who was handed a 21-month jail term for tax fraud this week.
In a post on his Twitter account, Bartomeu wrote: "Leo, those who attack you are attacking Barça and its history. We’ll defend you to the end. Together forever!"
Leo, those who attack you are attacking Barça and its history. We’ll defend you to the end. Together forever!— Josep Maria Bartomeu (@jmbartomeu) 8 July 2016
Not likely to go to jail
Barça ace Messi and his father, Jorge, received the sentence after being found guilty of defrauding the Spanish tax authorities of 4.1 million euros on income relating to image rights.
However, neither is expected to serve time behind bars as the terms they have been given are under two years and neither has a criminal record.
Club expresses support
Shortly after Wednesday's ruling, the club issued a statement offering its backing to the player, saying: "FC Barcelona gives all its support to Leo Messi and his father with relation to the sentence for tax evasion handed out by the Provincial Court in Barcelona today.
"The Club, in agreement with the Government prosecution service, considers that the player, who has corrected his position with the Spanish Tax Office, is in no way criminally responsible with regards to the facts underlined in this case.
"FC Barcelona continues to be at the disposal of Leo Messi and his family to support him in whatever action he decides to take in defence of his honesty and his legal interests."
The Messis' lawyers have confirmed that they are to appeal.
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats