Cristiano Ronaldo rules himself out of UEFA Super Cup
The 31-year-old Real Madrid star has admitted that he won't be back from a knee injury in time to face Sevilla in Trondheim on 9 AugustSevilla-Leganés: Copa del Rey
Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed he won't be ready for Real Madrid's UEFA Super Cup clash with fellow LaLiga side Sevilla on 9 August.
"I'm completely ruled out"
Speaking on Saturday, Cristiano admitted: "I'm completely ruled out of the Super Cup on the 9th because I return to work [with Real] on the 10th."
Earlier in July, the 31-year-old limped out of Portugal's Euro 2016 final win over France with a knee injury after clashing with Dimitri Payet.
And despite being accompanied by a personal trainer on holiday in Ibiza in a bid to accelerate his recovery, he is set to miss the continental curtain-raiser in Trondheim.
Madrid qualified for the Super Cup as Champions League winners, with Sevilla featuring in the match-up in Norway courtesy of their third straight Europa League triumph.
Contract extension: "It's something I want"
On extending his Real contract, meanwhile, he said: "I spoke to the president [Florentino Pérez] on the phone and when I get back to Madrid, we'll talk. Obviously it's something I want."
Ronaldo also looked over his prospects of scooping the 2016 Ballon d'Or in January, commenting: "It's out of my hands.
"But I'll admit that I'm in a good position given that I won the Champions League and the European Championships."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: is a new payment coming? Opt-out, eligibility, tax refund...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 31: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo 2021: Simone Biles pulls out of vault and bars finals
- OLYMPIC GAMES Connor Fields suffered brain bleed in BMX crash, out of ICU
- OLYMPIC GAMES South Korea U23 vs Mexico U23 live online: scores, stats and updates | Olympic men's soccer