Andrea Pirlo has been talking about Paul Pogba’s recent transfer to Manchester United and has revealed how Juventus were in tears laughing when United originally let the player go in 2012, and are “still laughing” now.
The former Juve midfielder said that all of the players at the club at that time rapidly realised what a steal Pogba was – having left Old Trafford for Turin on a free, only to be sold back to United for over €105 million just four years later.
“The first day he trained with us we were all laughing,” the Italian legend told the Daily Mail. “We didn’t laugh for any other reason than incredulousness; that a player of such ability could be let go for nothing. I think Juventus are still laughing.”
Pirlo further reminisced about how everyone at the club was waxing lyrical over the “special” Pogba, and that even Gianluigi Buffon came up to him laughing in disbelief.
"Football is prepared for a new king"
“He’s a player who can be the best in his position for the next ten years,” said the 37-year old, who now plies his trade at New York City, and that Pogba is now the best young player in the world. “This honour has been fought between Messi and Cristiano for many years, but football is prepared for a new king.”
Recommended in English
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers’ net worth?
- NFL Aaron Rodgers calls out Biden's 'fake White House' after vaccine spat
- NFL How and where to watch Bills v Chiefs: Kickoff time, TV channel, live stream
- NFL 49ers 13 vs. 10 Packers summary: Gould FG seals Niners win, stats, and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Burrow sacked nine times in Bengals win over Titans
- NFL Chiefs Tyreek Hill fined $12K for pom-pom celebration vs Steelers