Higuaín hits back at 'fat' jibes: "Keep saying it, I'll keep scoring"
Juventus' record signing scored the winner for his new club against Fiorentina this weekend and addressed criticism over his weight: "I've never doubted my qualities"
Gonzalo Higuaín, Juventus’ €90 million summer signing, has been the subject of a controversy surrounding his weight ever since his arrival in Turin in July. However, this weekend Higuaín hit back at his critics who say he’s a little bit on the porky side, scoring Juve’s winner against Fiorentina in the first game of the Serie A season.
After the game, Higuaín finally spoke out. “Fat? It’s best if you keep saying it before every game, because then I’ll keep on scoring.”
"The criticism doesn't interest me"
Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri handed the Argentinian striker his official debut against Fiorentina, although not until the 66th minute, when he came on for Mandzukic. However, Higuain remains relaxed and is keeping deaf ears to his detractors. “The criticism doesn’t interest me,” he said. “I’ve never doubted by quality.”
Despite not starting the game, the number ‘9’ said he couldn’t have asked for much more from his debut. “It was a night I’d always dreamed of.”
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- MLB trade deadline Yankees get Rizzo from Cubs, Schwarber to Red Sox
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 30: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- Tokyo Olympics: Fraser-Pryce dazzles but Ta Lou sets the standard in stunning women's sprint heats
- NBA Wizards reportedly trade Westbrook to LA Lakers in draft-night blockbuster