Real Madrid embrace the 'last-gasp goal'
A legendary ability to score important late goals
They’ve done it before. It happened in Lisbon, again in the following Champions League season against Atlético, twice against Sevilla in this year’s Super Cup (first at the end of normal time and then in extra time) and, of course, this week at the Santiago Bernabéu. Each time a last-gasp goal to break a deadlock, a goal in the ‘Cesarini Zone’ (the last few minutes of a match) with the world watching. Perhaps this latest match lacked the importance of the others – it was just another European game, after all – but doing it so often has instilled a legend in the minds of many. The world’s press picked up on it: “A Champions Miracle,” “Terrifying Madrid,” “Last-minute Real Victory.”
Fond memories of years gone by
Madridistas like that, because it brings up fond memories. Real Madrid do well in the final stages of games. They trailed 2-0 and 3-2 in the first European Cup final against Stade de Reims in 1956 before winning 3-4 with a late goal. Many more have come since then, especially in those famous UEFA Cup comebacks when the team always seemed to find the goal they needed, but these latest cases have had a truly global resonance.
Real Madrid, a drive to never give up
That drive to never give up, above all in Europe, is what Real Madrid are known for - even among their closest rivals. Guardiola once said it well: there’s no clearer sign that things are going badly at Madrid than if they don’t rise up and push until the very end of a match when things aren’t going their way. Usually, it’s the opposite. Opponents know this and inadvertently help by dropping, encouraging Madrid to pour forward. The club is tied to a legend. The more important the game and the more home-grown players there are, the stronger it becomes. And that’s how the goal that’s needed comes. The last-gasp goal.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem