James has chance to convince Zidane against Villarreal
Real Madrid midfielder James hasn't started a game in LaLiga Santander since 8 May against Valencia, today against Villarreal he's back.
James will start for Real Madrid in the Bernabeu in the LaLiga Santander match tonight, Wednesday, (kick off 20:00 CEST), for the first time in a competitive match since 8 May (in the win over Valencia 3-2). 136 days have passed since then.
James has only come off the bench this season
In the two games James has played in this season he's come off the bench: he took Modric's place against Celta in the 69th monute and against Sporting Lisbon he took over from Kroos in the 77th, and he crossed to set up Morata's dramatic last minute winner.
James has struggled under Zidane
Against Osasuna he was rotated, having just come back from international duty (against Venezuela and Brazil). Overall James has struggled since Zidane took over at Real Madrid in January. In the 16 games Zidane has been in charge for at the Bernabéu (12 in the Liga and four in the Champions League) James has only started six (37.5%): five times in LaLiga (Espanyol, Eibar, Athletic, Atlético and Valencia) and once in the Champions League (against Roma, where he scored). He's come on off the bench seven times: (Deportivo, Sporting, Sevilla, Villarreal, City, Celta and Sporting Lisbon) while he sat out completely against Celta and Wolfsburg.
James has a chance against Villarreal
This evening against Villarreal, with Casemiro and Modric out, and his good performances against Sporting and Espanyol (where he grabbed the opener) he'll be starting, looking to win a permanent place in Zidane's starting line-up.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | DAY 12 Tokyo Olympics: China lead as Japan and Great Britain climb
- TOKYO OLYMPICS De Grasse succeeds Bolt as McLaughlin breaks record
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Australia vs USA: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL USA vs Australia: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Marathon rules, distance and course at the Tokyo 2021 Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBAL How many Olympic medals does LeBron James have?